Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Book Worth Sharing- Mommy Version

Every free minute I have had over the last week, I have been reading the book Nurture Shock by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman. Because I am a Learn as I Go Mom, I enjoy reading books that help me as a parent and educator. I am also a bit of a skeptic, so this book was a perfect combination of science and evidence-based looks at topics such as praise, sleep, race, lying, gifted programs, sibling relationships, teenage conflict, motivation, concentration, violence on TV, and vocabulary development.

Although this book is dense with scientific talk and citations, the common parenting and teaching myths the book looks at, at, in many cases debunks, are insightful and enlightening. The authors also do a great job of presenting the facts then telling what it all means in a practical sense, including application of the findings with their own families. This book has definitely made me think twice about some parenting decisions I have and will make. It also makes me think about ways I could have and will help my students. I highly recommend this book to any educator or parent of kids of any age.

No comments:

Post a Comment